Privacy notice for job applicants
AES collects and processes your personal data in accordance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). In case you are based in the EU or applying for a job position in the EU, see the Privacy Notice below for further details, or click here to access the Bulgarian version.
This Privacy Notice for Job Applicants (“Notice”) describes how The AES Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates (“AES”, “we” or “us”) use and process Personal Data in connection with the recruiting process at AES. This Notice applies to anyone who is applying to work for us, whether as an employee, contractor, consultant, or director (together referred to as ‘Job Applicant’ or ‘you’). It is important that you read this Notice carefully, together with any other similar or additional information that we might give you from time to time about how we collect and use your Personal Data.
Personal Data means any information relating to a living individual who can be identified (directly or indirectly) in particular by reference to an identifier (e.g. name, national identification number, employee number, email address, physical features).
This Privacy Notice covers any Personal Data we may collect in connection with the recruiting process at AES. This may include:
- Information contained in your application form and/or CV, including - but not limited to - your name, title, contact details (telephone number, physical address, email address and user name), photograph, employment history, previous work experience, education, language and other skills;
- Date of birth, social security number, social insurance number, national ID number;
- Professional and other work-related licenses, permits and certifications;
- Awards and professional memberships;
- Pre-employment check information, including references and verification of qualifications; andSelection information, including correspondence, interview notes, internal notes, the results of any written or online selection tests;
- Right to work checks and related documents
We hold and use your Personal Data so that we can:
- Process your job application;
- Evaluate your job qualifications; training and experience;
- Verify information provided by you;
- Communicate with you regarding your inquiries, requests, applications, and/or send important notices;
- Check and demonstrate that you have the legal right to work in the country where the role is based, where applicable;
- Conduct criminal history, background, and employment checks, where applicable;
- Make informed recruitment decisions;
- Keep appropriate records of our recruitment process and decisions; and
- Comply with applicable law and contractual obligations.
We rely on one or more of the following legal grounds when we process your Personal Data:
- We need it to take steps at your request in order to enter into a contract with you, because by applying for a job with us you are effectively asking us to enter into a contract with you.
- We need it to comply with a legal obligation, e.g. the obligation not to discriminate during our recruitment process, or the obligation not to employ someone who does not have the legal right to work in the country where the position is based.
- It is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests. For example, it is in our legitimate interests to review and consider your Personal Data so that we can select the most appropriate candidate for the position.
During the recruiting process, AES may process limited types of special category of Personal Data, including medical and health conditions, racial or ethnic origin, disability, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership and/or criminal convictions (together referred to as Sensitive Personal Data). Express consent may be required for the collection and use of certain Sensitive Personal Data. AES will obtain this consent as required by applicable law. Exceptions to express consent requirements may apply where the processing of Sensitive Personal Data is necessary for AES to carry out its employment law obligations and/or for other permitted reasons such as:
- Adjusting the recruitment process as a result of an underlying medical condition or disability;
- Assessing whether a Job Applicant is fit to do the job;
- Complying with health and safety requirements; and
- Monitoring of equal opportunities in the public interest.
In addition to collecting your Personal Data directly from you (including your written application, by completing any assessments and during any interviews), AES may collect it from other third parties (i.e., recruiters, former employers, and government agencies) or through your interaction with the Workday environment and other sources. Some of the Personal Data we hold and use about you is generated from internal sources during the recruitment process, such as opinions about your suitability for the position of persons interviewing you.
Your Personal Data will be reviewed by AES human resources personnel, recruiters and hiring managers. AES will share your Personal Data with other AES employees or agents who have a business need to access such Personal Data and may include technical services personnel, managers or their designees. AES will share your Personal Data, where appropriate and relevant, with other companies within the AES group. This is done to enable them to input into the recruitment process and approve final recruitment decisions, when required by our internal policies. We consider this to be necessary for entry into a contract, and it is in our legitimate interest to obtain internal approval of our recruitment decisions and comply with the procedures applicable within our corporate group. AES may provide your Personal Data to other third parties. When doing so, AES will take steps to help ensure appropriate protections are in place before we share or disclose Personal Data with any third-party service provider. AES may provide your Personal Data to third parties:
- To provide services to support the recruitment process at AES as well as to facilitate post-offer processes and certain steps involved in initiating the employment relationship. These third parties are authorized to use your Personal Data about only as necessary to provide these services.
- As required by applicable law, such as to comply with a subpoena or similar legal process.
- To protect our rights or property, protect your health and safety, or the health and safety of others.
- To detect and investigate fraud or illegal activity, or to respond to a government request.
- To respond to an emergency.
- As required for a merger, acquisition or sale of all or a portion of assets. In such a case, the successor company will acquire the same rights and obligations that AES has related to your personal information.
AES is a global company. AES may transfer your Personal Data to the United States where its head office is located and other countries where it operates. This allows us to provide you with access to job opportunities around the globe. We have put in place appropriate measures to ensure that any Personal Data transferred outside of Europe within the AES group is treated in a way that is consistent with the EU General Data Protection Regulation. AES may also transfer your Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area to countries where its third party service providers operate. AES will not transfer your personal information to a third party unless the third party agrees to provide the level of privacy protection consistent with applicable law.
Where required by applicable law, AES will provide you with reasonable access to the Personal Data that we hold about you. In responding to a request for access, AES may require you to provide us with sufficient information to confirm your identity in order to locate responsive information, to identify your concerns which led to or motivated the request, and to identify which AES companies you interacted with, and the nature of the information requested. You must ensure your information is accurate and up-to-date, and notify AES when there are changes so we can be sure that your personal information is reliable for its intended use. If your Personal Data is inaccurate or incomplete, you may, to the extent permitted or required by applicable law, request that your Personal Data be corrected. You may also request deletion of your Personal Data. AES will take reasonable steps to correct or delete your Personal Data that is inaccurate or incomplete, except where retention is required by applicable law, contractual obligations, or AES policies. AES may refuse your request for access to, correction, or deletion of your Personal Data in certain circumstances. If AES denies your access, correction, or deletion request, we will notify you of the reason of the denial.
AES retains Personal Data relating to candidates applying for jobs in accordance with AES policies and practices, applicable law and contractual obligations. If there is no activity in relation to the personal information, AES may remove it from its database, subject to its data retention obligations, policies, and any applicable legal or regulatory obligations or for the period of time permitted by local laws, for the purpose of considering whether your skills are suitable for other opportunities.
AES works with Workday to ensure we use reasonable and appropriate physical, technical, and administrative industry safeguards to protect Personal Data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Notwithstanding our security safeguards, it is impossible to guarantee 100% security in all circumstances. AES users of Workday are responsible for safeguarding the security of any password, user ID, or other form of authentication involved in obtaining access to password protected or secure areas of any Workday environments. It is your sole responsibility to use the appropriate level of care whenever communicating with us through the Workday environment. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), you must immediately notify us of the problem. In order to protect you and your Personal Data, AES may request Workday to suspend your use of a website, without notice, pending an investigation, if any breach of security is suspected. Access to and use of password protected and/or secure area of any AES site is restricted to authorized users only. Unauthorized access to such areas is prohibited and may lead to criminal prosecution.
This Privacy Notice for Job Applicants applies from 25 May 2018, when the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force. We may update this Privacy Notice at any time. The updated version will be made available on this site.
This Notice does not form part of any contract of employment offered to job applicants hired by AES. Should your application be successful, when you start work for us, we will provide you with another privacy notice that explains how we deal with your personal data whilst you are working for us.
If you have questions or concerns about AES privacy practices and data protection policies, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.